DESIGN/BUILD WORKSHOP: PART 1
- Join us in Lawrence, KS, the weekend of Oct 9-10 for a hands-on design workshop with Master Blacksmiths from Britain, Terrence Clark and Peter Parkinson. Under the guidance of these two experts, participants will design a decorative entrance gate for the Black Jack Battle Site located just east of Baldwin City, KS, with the participation of Van Go Mobile Arts students.
This extraordinary workshop will include:
- A visit to the historic site,
- A presentation by the Van Go artists on the human and natural history of the site to give more possible design ideas to participants,
- Time to draw individual designs with help from Terrence and Peter,
- Group discussion of all the designs created and how to use them to create a gate for the site.
This will be a friendly group, expert drawing ability is definitely NOT required!!
Date: Saturday, October 9, 2010 and Sunday, October 10, 2010
Place: Lawrence and Baldwin City, KS
Time: Sat. 9am-6pm, lunch will be provided and Sun. 9am-noonish
- For further information or to sign up please contact Kate Dinneen at firstname.lastname@example.org or home phone 785-841-6271. There is also some more information on the Black Jack site and about the plan at www.blackjackgate.wordpress.com . I will be adding information to that blog in the next days and weeks.
Sat Oct 9:
v Introduction of Terrence and Peter including some photos of their work.
v Introduction of the concept of the project.
v Visit to the Black Jack site, to look, measure and have a chance for everyone to see the place.
v Return to the workshop space for discussion on the site, the historical significance. This discussion will be led by Kate Dinneen and the Van Go artists.
v Next Terrence and Peter will lead a discussion on the design of gates, various options, concepts. Then a bit on the design process and all the questions involved including the practical-how tall? how wide?- and the more esoteric- what do we want it to say about the place?
v Finally participants will be asked to draw thumbnail sketches based on everything they have learned from the site visit and the discussions.
Sun Oct 10:
v Finish up drawings, pin them all up and discuss them, asking individuals to talk about their drawings. The plan is to come up with a group consensus for a design which we will all feel happy about, which is exciting, stunning and attainable.
Peter will take the ideas and draw up a working design for PART 2 of the DESIGN/BUILD WORKSHOP which will take place in May of 2011, once the funding comes in!
This event is hosted by the Black Jack Battlefield Trust, Hot Flash Metalwork and Walt Hull Ironwork.
Thanks and I look forward to seeing you in Oct.!